Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Worlds Day 4.1

Finally cracked the sub 1m results this afternoon with a cracking 0.46m drop on a PDG.

Now I have that out there...the whole story.

After a bad morning and a few hours of beating myself up and searching the web for a new sport, I walked into the afternoon briefing refreshed and looking forward to a few more markers and the chance to put things right again.

The task was a PDG and Fly in with us allowed to choose two PDG goals and fly the tasks in any order. The winds were from the south west and a weak front was due to arrive at about 6pm and move all the winds around to the north west.

We took off soon after the launch period started and used the lower winds to creep up to the fly in from the south. I had two PDG goals set to the north to work after the Fly In.

The approach to the Fly in was not all that good and I climbed for more right when I probably should have hugged the ground. In any event, I dropped from about 200 ft while descending and was about 50m of to the side of the target.

Lots of balloons looked like they might miss it but lots also looked like they did well. I don't expect too many points from it.

The PDG was great as both goals were well placed and the winds were doing as I expected. I approached my first option about 50m to the right of target and decided to hang onto my marker and go for the second option. I am glad I did.

With more time to work out the best approach I slid in right over the intersection and with a little throw landed the marker at 46cm from the center.

All in all, typical of this week so far. One good and one less than good result. Consistency is the game and I am not doing that at all.

Tomorrow the competition moves out to Utsonomyia as there is a huge public day here at the Twin ring track and in order to avoid traffic chaos, we will all be using a different part of the map. I have no idea if we will get any Internet access out there so it may be a while before the next update.