Saturday, November 25, 2006

2006 Worlds are over



The last flight has been flown and to celebrate the week of team Gomi I even landed with my marker!

After a wind shift once our launch site was chosen and the balloon out of the truck we were faced with a painful creep well to the right of goal or try and do something clever. I opted for the hero or zero option - it turned out to be a zero but it was a nice climb to 5200ft at 600ft/min followed by a dawdle down to landing at 600 ft/min. What a silly thing to do.

The wind never turned around as I hoped and in the end only got faster for a while. In the end I was no doubt last place at 4665m. The up side is that I could have been last place at 1000m either way so it was not like I threw anything away.

It has been a great week, the flying was hard and my decision making often questionable but the team were great and supported me the whole way. The final results are going to hit the board from about 8pm local time onwards and we will see where we ended up.

Time for the night glow then a cash prize flight in the morning before the big pack up and trip home.