Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Worlds 3.1

3rd Competition flight is now over. The afternoon was a Fly in followed by a Fly on.

The winds in the Haga valley are always a challenge and today was no different. On the ground the direction was always shifting so picking the launch point was hard work. In the end I ended up further north than I would have liked and had to climb to just under the ceiling of 6000ft. to get a direction to the south.

With some work and a big descent I made it in the general area of the goal and I think the final result was about 150-200m. Not great but you take what you can get.

The fly on had to be 2km away from the fly in and I thought I had corrected enough for the winds we were finding in flight. In the end it was still further south than I would have liked and had to do another big climb to get south. The speed up top was not all that good and was actually taking me further to the east as well as south.

The ground wind was fast enough that when i finally made my descent I was right on track and arrived at the goal with about a minute to spare in the scoring period. Very close but enough time to drop at 3.03m which should be good points.

It also looks like results are up for this morning and I think I got 161 points for the first task but got 995 points for the second task. It will be interesting to see the totals but they are not up yet.

Time to eat and sleep.