Friday, July 13, 2007

Benalla Flight 7

Friday morning, last competition day.

After the rain and wind yesterday, this was the last day in the chase. We were confirmed in third place and about 200 points behind 2nd and 683 points to first place.

With Paul and Edwin ahead of me it was going to require a special flight from me to get back those points.

Three tasks were called, pilot declared goal, fly in and fly on. The distances on the task sheet indicated that the flight was to be a fast one with just about the full stretch of the map from corner to corner likely to be needed.

The cold breeze on the back of our necks and the pilot balloons scooting over the horizon had us wondering if it was going to be possible to get off the ground, let alone get to the goals.

In the end a great launch site was found and surface wind actually eased a little. We had picked the flight perfectly and with just under 15km to run to the first goal we had lots of time to relax and get settled.

The PDG result was about 10m, the Fly in was about 6m and the final fly on was 23m. On most days a good result, but on a day when I was chasing Paul and Edwin, it was questionable if it was enough.

Paul was right there beside me the whole way so I know I had not caught him but I had no idea how Edwin went.