Sunday, November 04, 2007

Saga '07 competition flight 6

The last competition flight has been flown. Today we had another mass launch for the crowd with only two tasks set.

A PDG then JDG with a 200m limited scoring area.

We had to use the upper winds to get to the JDG and speeds were in the range of 40km/h above 1000 feet. As such everything came rushing up pretty quick and the whole flight was over in 26 minutes. For some reason I did not have time to take any photos today...

I was not able to correct enough for my PDG and ended up with a 300m result after releasing the marker at 2000ft.

The approach into the JDG was from the same height and while I was trying to descend, balloons below me prevented a safe fast descent into the goal. In the end I had to release the marker from over 1000 feet and hope I had my calculations right to keep it in the limited scoring area of 200m.

I think the result was about 90 to 100m and looked like it was only one of about 25 markers close enough to get a score.

All in all it will be interesting to see if I can hang onto a top 10 spot for a little bit of prize money. If not it does not matter.

The high light for me has been winning the Masashi Kakuda Memorial Cup yesterday morning. I considered Masashi a great friend and even mentor in some ways so it is a great honour to win that flight and be the first to have my name on his trophy.

It also looks like I might be invited to join a team for the final round of the Japanese Grand Prix in Motegi in a few weeks time so that will be fun to see if I can get them some more points along the way.

This afternoon will be the key grab but already the winds are picking up so I am not hopeful for another flight. It will be time to go drinking and enjoy the company of some fellow balloon nuts from around the world!