Saturday, November 24, 2007

Another Utsonomia morning

First of all here is the plot from the disaster yesterday afternoon. It looks pretty but it was not at the time.

I have also found another little technical detail in the rules as a result of this flight. It seems I have got zero points for the maximum distance because I did not drop the marker at all.

Because I landed after the scoring period it is a zero rather than group B result. I should have known this and it makes sense now but it is a stupid technicality. I am not game to see how many points it cost me.

Ignore the above rubbish...I do get a group B result and have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote that. I did know what i was doing holding onto the marker and it was some one else who convinced me otherwise after the fact.

Motegi Flight 6 - PM

MXD, HWZ - Flight from nowhere to nowhere..
So, to this mornings flight. Four markers were waiting for us with the tasks being a Fly In, PDG, FON and FON.
The surface winds were from the north with upper winds from the south west and west at height. The surface winds were expected to washout by about 9am.

Most of the pack seemed to head south to do the fly in while I took a launch site to the north with an approach at low level flying down the river. It was exactly the same conditions as the key grab flight before the Worlds here last year.

I think the northern option worked best with good results for most of us who launched in the same area. The guys coming in from the south had more work to do and I don't think anyone got closer than four of us that came in from the north. I dropped about 7m and was right next to Owen Keown with Fujita probably the winner on the flight with about a meter.

For the PDG we could choose two goals. I put one to the south in case I could continue down the river and one off to the east. The southern one was not looking good so I climbed up to 5000 feet and headed off to the east.

The northerly was still flowing down the valley and I lined up on the PDG very easily. Unfortunately I did not fly it all that well and ended up with a 15m drop.

Keeping at low level and on the same track the first fly on was another easy goal flown badly fro 29.8m. The final fly on things were starting to come together and a pathetic throw buggered up a nice approach. The final result was 4.88m

I have heard some very good results for the PDG, FON, FON so we will see how it all works out.

Two more flights to go....

Motegi Flight 7 - AM
FIN, PDG, FON,FON - Flight from NW to SW and everything in between.