Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Ouch! all fall down.

It is a rude thing for your body to remind you that it is older than your brain.

You see I have enjoyed rock climbing among other adventure activities for many many years. In recent times I have not done any climbing because, well because life gets in the way some times doesn't it?

Among other things that I have sworn to get back into, climbing is one of them. I really enjoy it, physically is it a great activity and mentally it is a challenge.

Before hitting the real rocks though, there is hours in the climbing gym getting the strength back into fingers and other body parts not normally used while sitting at a computer or turning a balloon burner on and off.

With what I thought was a good warm up and gentle start back on the wall, Andrew and I started to find out that while the old feeling was there and the technique side of things was still good, the flexibility and strength still had a ways to go.

About an hour and bit in I did what all idiots do in these situations, I hurt something. The something was my knee that made a great popping sound and then felt a bit weak. Not a problem, shake it out and keep climbing - there are girls watching and this is only a easy/medium rated climb - can't give up until you get to the top or they will stop watching!

Two climbs later I had to admit defeat. The girls had moved on and there was an injury there for sure. It was only going to get worse if I kept going. It was fine all afternoon until a spell of inactivity resulted in a leg that did not want to support weight or was much fun to walk on.

I am guessing I have done some mild damage to the medial collateral ligament which after an evening of elevation is starting to feel better. I suppose I will see how it is in the morning.

It has until next Wednesday to get better because that is my next night at the climbing gym...